Turfs should be in good health and adequately cared for to carry through the strains brought about by dry spells or diminished watering. Even if you tend not to have water restrictions or extra dried-up situations, you would certainly need to cultivate a lawn on minimal amount of water for you to reduce your water bills. Keeping your lawn healthy and well established is the most ideal strategy to help it survive a dry spell or inferior water situations.
1. New lawns must be seeded at least sixty days before the dry spell commences while existing turfs needs to be adequately maintained with the use of organic turf maintenance techniques.
2. You ought to decrease the bulk of thatch in your lawn or the build up of surface soil runners and debris. An excessive amount thatch offsets water and nutrients from touching the grass roots. Keep the thatch about 1/2 inch or 1.25 cm and permit it to organically decompose. You can easily minimize your lawn’s thatch by either making use of a metal rake or a dethatcher.
3. Lower or discontinue the application of nitrogen fertilizer, use more potassium fertilizer instead.
4. Steer clear of the application of herbicides although weeds are more prominent on drought-stressed turfs. Remember that herbicides produce negative effects on grass during dry seasons.
5. Water heavily but not regularly. Deep watering permits your lawn to grow deep-seated root systems which will eventually make your lawn healthier and more drought resistant. Allow the lawn to dry up a bit before watering again. Wait up until the grass color turns dull and footprints continue being compressed longer than a couple of seconds before re-watering. Make sure to give your lawn a minimum of one inch or 2.5 of water. Put a cup in the sprinkler spot to be sure that you’re supplying just the right amount.
6. Water your turf early in the morning. Otherwise, water can just soon evaporate if you elect to water over mid day.
7. Keep your mower razors sharp. Cutting with blunt blades is very likely to create a tear instead a good cut. This will diminish your lawn’s endurance which it needs to endure the strains of drought.
8. Don’t cut the grass overly short. When you cut to closely, you might expose the surface roots and the root development will become slow. This will lower your lawn’s resilience from increased heat.
9. Lay down the cuttings on your lawn. The clippings that you produce with mowing will serve as mulch that will help keep the moisture level of the turf. Make sure to stretch the clippings thinly so it won’t add greatly to thatch build up.
Aside from the added aesthetic value to your home, a healthy lawn provides numerous benefits including Brisbane erosion control. So, if you want to know more about developing a healthy a lawn through Hydroseeding Brisbane, simply go to the Hydro Spray Grass website by clicking on the given links.