Do you have a picture of your own dream home painted in your thoughts? If so, what’s stopping you from realizing your dream? If you think that building the house the you’ve always wanted is impossible because of your financial problems, you’re wrong. Believe it or not, constructing a home can be less pricey that it normally is. You just need to find ways on how to save money while others are overspending on a construction project. Here are some tips to help you build a home without going beyond your budget limit.
1. Be the general contractor of the project. Even if you hire a home-building company, make sure to observe every aspect of the project. This will enable you to keep track of the expenses and development of the project.
2. Choose a huge lot that can be separated into 2 smaller lots and look for someone who would be willing to share the lot and the costs.
3. Choose a “problem lot”. Hillside, narrow or slopping lots are called “problem” lots because they are not that easy to work on. Thus, they may not be as desirable as the typical lots. This is why they are less expensive. You just need to find the right contractor that can work incredibly well on such lots. With the right contractor, you can have your dream home built even on a difficult lot.
4. Use low-maintenance construction materials. Find items that would require less maintenance like metal roofing and vinyl siding. These items may be expensive to install but you can definitely save a lot of money in the future because you won’t have to worry about constant repairs, repaint or replacement expenses.
5. Monitor construction costs. You need to make sure that you are receiving what you are being billed for. So, if you and your contractor agree to use a particular brand, don’t let give you a lesser brand, especially without a cost adjustment.
6. Hire a highly recommended building contractor. You need to make sure that you find a reliable contractor that can build your dream house. You can do so by hiring the one who has an experience in working on the house design and lot that you have. For instance, if you are planning to construct a house on a sloping lot, look for a contractor that specializes in that kind of project.
7. As much as possible don’t change orders. There are times when last minute changes in materials and house design take place during the building process. This could result to a delay in the construction schedule and could cost you more money as well. So, before you start building, make sure to have everything planned from the simplest details up to the most complex parts of your construction. And remember, stick to that plan as much as possible to avoid having extra expenses.